Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Newport Marathon Training Update

Well, it has been 1 month since the 5k, so I thought I should tell how it went. Obviously, I didn't get my goal, or I would have written a report right away. :-) So, I thought I had a perfect plan. It was cool weather, but a little muddy with some wind and rain. Sarah and I drove out together and met up with Travis. We decided to run the course as a warmup, but we didn't quite have enough time. So we cut back to start the race. We started toward the front since it is on a golf course. I started at about a 7:25 pace which was right on plan. I was feeling pretty good and then I got really warm and had to take off my long sleeve. This was trickier than I thought at that speed and I had to slow down a little. I finished the second mile 7:18. I wanted to pick it up in the 3rd mile and I could see a girl just ahead of me but I could not will my legs to move any faster. I even started laughing at one point because I could not do anything else. My last mile was 7:20 and my last .1 was 7:49 pace. I really did give it everything, didn't start out too fast, just didn't have it in my legs. My 16 miler 2 days earlier might have had something to do with it. :-) The night before the race I was reading a blog by Julie Mullins who is an Uberthons promoter and she is trying to qualify for Boston as well. We had a very similar history and I felt a kinship to her. She was at the race, so I was a nerd and introduced myself. She had been announcing the race and just seemed really friendly and easy to approach. So, I will continue to follow her.

As for my marathon training, it is going well. I have been working hard and had some great runs! I have been running 45-55 miles per week since Phoenix. I have run 2 16 milers, 2 18 milers, and 2 14 milers. I have done tempo runs and track work and I am really pushing my paces. I have been surprising myself on my progression long runs. One of my favorite ended on the track with a "jogathon practice" for Uberthons and I was able to do 10 laps in 19 minutes and I was just chatting with my friend Krystin while doing so. I am loving negative splits and ending fast! I feel like I am getting stronger!

No comments: