Friday, February 26, 2016

Marathon Training Update and Marathon Goals

Well, after the half marathon I still had to come back strong! It wasn't quite the taper yet. I had 2 more fast Tuesday runs and 2 more pace runs. It was kind of a taper, but not really. :-) The Hanson's Method seems to have more of a 7-10 day taper.

Well, it is the night before the marathon and I should be in bed, so I am doing this quickly.  My last speed workouts went really well and for one of my tempo runs, I decided to do a 16 mile pace run. My half marathon was the day I was supposed to do my last long run, so I decided to do this instead. It was going to be my practice run. I got up 3 hours before to eat a banana and a larabar. I went back to bed and then got up to drink Superstarch- 2 packets. I ran with Heather Smith and told her that I wanted to practice pacing. These are what our splits looked like:

8:19
8:21
8:12
8:12
8:26
8:14
8:21
8:24
8:24
8:11
8:20
8:25
8:16
8:25
8:04
8:14

I was very pleased with how this run went. My heart rate was getting up but not too crazy. I really felt like I could have run more and faster. I am planning on starting this marathon slower. We are in Phoenix right now. We ran part of the course at 6:30 this morning. It was cool to start (55) but it got warm. I am a little nervous about the heat, but I am hoping to finish before it is too bad. My main goal with this race is to run smart. I have to prove to myself that I can start slow.

First 10k- 8:30
Next 20K- 8:20
Next 10k-8:10
Last 2k- Sub 8 if possible!

1. Get a BQ- sub 3:40 (Ideally a 3:38)
2. Get a PR- sub 3:48
3. Finish strong and happy no matter what

I would like to do the first half in 1:49-1:50 and still be feeling good. I want to feel good until at least mile 16, if not mile 20. Then it is time to bring it home! I can do this!!! I have had a fantastic training cycle. My speed is there. I just am hoping the nutrition is there.

I will report back. Time for bed!

No comments: