Sunday, December 21, 2014

How I "won" a "half marathon"

Alright, I am guessing this is probably never going to happen again so I have to write it down for my posterity. I emailed my friend Cherl after the race so I will copy and paste that here.
Background- I knew I would be at the beach with my sister and I wanted to run long on the beach on Saturday. I contacted local running clubs to find a good fit. This one meets 4 miles from Crystal and Tony so it was perfect. They emailed me the route during the week and mentioned it would be a "mock 10k/half marathon." I thought I might as well race it too. :-)

When I showed up my plan was to start at 8:30's or 8:20's. There was a group of about 20 of us. There were some running the half and some running the 10k. They had emailed me directions of the route and also gave me a printed version. I just planned on following the "fast" runners if I could. So, they said go and everyone started jogging. It was the weirdest thing and I didn't know what to do. I didn't know the route that well so I didn't feel like I could just speed ahead. So, I was behind a couple of guys and we were running 9:30's. Then I just decided to run with a guy who was doing the 10k. Once the route split, I realized I didn't know who else was running the half, so I just kicked it into gear and wanted to see what I could do. I knew the first 3 miles would keep me from as fast as I wanted to run, but I just turned my watch off from overall time and just watched my lap paces. It was so fun!! I got lost a few times but overall it was beautiful and I am proud of how I ran! 

Lap 1- 9:28
Lap 2- 8:54
Lap 3- 9:04
Lap 4-8:15
Lap 5-7:56
Lap 6-8:15
Lap 7- 8:11
Lap 8-8:11
Lap 9-8:21
Lap 10-8:17
Lap 11-8:12
Lap 12- 8:38 (was very lost at this point)
Lap 13-7:56 (just decided to run until I hit 13.1 and then figure out where to go!)
.1- 7:07

Total 1:50:21- 8:25 pace (17 seconds faster than my half in September. :-)

This gets me excited about the half at the end of January! Best I have ever felt, And I won the half. :-)

No comments: