Thursday, April 3, 2014

Plans and Goals for Yakima Marathon

Well, the good news is there is not a bone injury! So, the Dr. gave me the green light to run. The bad news is, there is tendon inflammation. This means there will be pain involved in my running and this is not an injury that will just go away.

Well, having no experience with injuries, I went out for a run yesterday thinking all would be well. :-) I was so excited to get a chance to run. I went for a slow 5 miles and I felt the injury the entire run. It was a dull ache, not a sharp pain, but discouraging nonetheless. I am not running again until Saturday. :-) I was talking with my husband last night and he said if it were him he wouldn't run the marathon. However, we ended up having a long conversation and here are the reasons I want to run:

1. New course, new area
2. Want to know if it's a good race for me to choose next year
3. I want to at least try the marathon.
4. Dr. gave me the green light and feels I won't do permanent damage.
5. I want to hear Katherine Switzer speak
6. I want to experience the marathon.

Reasons to not run:
1. There will be pain involved.
2. Not getting the time I trained for.

This is from an email I sent to Malcolm. I will run a smart race and listen to my body. If there is too much pain, I will be brave and pull out of the race. I want to enjoy the beauty and give it a shot. I haven't decided if I will do the ibuprofen or not. 

I can't wait to try it!! 

My new goals:

1. Enjoy the scenery
2. Listen to my body.
3 . Have fun.
4. Follow my heart rate.
5. Meet new people. 
6. Pull out if the pain is too intense.
7. PR if feeling good. :-)
8. BQ if the stars align. :-)
9. Trust my training. I have put in the work. 

No comments: