Wednesday, October 15, 2014

MAF Test #1

I am going to try to track my progress a little better than normal. :-) Today, I was able to talk my friend Kirsten into doing the baseline MAF test. The standard formula is 180-age which would be 144 for me. Then there are a few places that say to add 5 points if you have been working out consistently without recurring injury. I decided I fall into that category, so the number I am aiming for is 149. For the next 12 weeks I will do all I can to stay below that number and work aerobically. Today was interesting because my heart rate started in the low 130's for the warmup mile but then it jumped to 185. I am not sure what was going on, but my heart was definitely NOT beating that fast. I am not sure if it was confused by Kirsten's heart rate monitor, but it seemed to level out a few times. So, these are not super accurate results but they will have to do for now. :-)

Mile 1 warmup- 10:56- hr 149 (I know this is wrong! It was downhill and kept jumping to 180's
Mile 2- first test mile around neighborhood- 10:49- hr-144
Mile 3- on the track 10:22, hr- 143
Mile 4- on the track 10:19, hr-148- this is an almost perfect mile
Mile 5- on the track 10:53 hr- 146
Mile 6- partly on track, partly in neighborhood slight incline, 11:30, hr 146
Mile-.19 cool down 11:37, hr 147

Well, this was an interesting first test. I hope I can figure out my watch better, but for now was a good start. I love the numbers. We will see how tomorrow goes. Jeff says he is willing to run slow with me. I hope it doesn't kill him. :-)


1 comment:

cherl said...

Sounds like a great first test!