Monday, October 13, 2014

Getting Ready for the Best year yet- 2015!

Well, I guess I should recap how my summer went and then get going with my plans!

Whole 30 was great and I felt better than I have ever felt. I got down to my wedding weight (even a little less) and was enjoying the new energy and confidence it brought me! Unfortunately, Crossfit was not for me, but Jeff loves it and continues to see progress by going 3 times a week! Jeff and I went to Brazil in June and we had a fabulous time and even kept up with the running, just in case I decided to run a marathon in September. Ultimately I decided to run the half and wait on the marathon.

Jeff and I also ran Hood to Coast together in August. The first and last legs were some of the best running I have ever done! My goal was to average under 8 minute miles for the whole 17 miles.

Leg 1- Around a 7:10 average for 5.5 miles, with 2 of the miles being sub-7! It was a downhill leg, but I was still surprised I could make my legs go that fast! I ran a 5k pr and still had to run another 2 1/2 miles after I was finished!

Leg 2- Tough leg with tired legs :-) but I am proud of myself for not giving up. I averaged just over 8 minute miles for 6 miles.

Leg 3- I expected my legs to feel worse, so I didn't think I would get my goal. I also knew there was a steady uphill for most of the last mile, to end with a downhill for the last quarter mile. I surprised myself when I looked down and saw I was running sub-8 minute miles. I felt fantastic!! So, my slowest mile was that uphill one at an 8:30 pace. I passed 25 people on this leg! I felt like a real runner!

So, then going into my half marathon, I was hoping that I could PR with a 1:45. I will admit I wasn't training as hard as I had been, and my eating was going downhill. :-) I had gained a few pounds and just didn't feel as strong. I was still hopeful after a great Hood to Coast. I started a little slower since it started uphill, but I never got the burst I thought I would. It was a little more hilly than I realized it would be and was a little warmer than I like. In the end, I fought hard for a 1:50, which is still a great time and I am proud of it!

Now, I have been switching things up and taking a little break from running. I have been doing Bikram Yoga and I want to do more strength training. I signed up for the Pacific Northwest Marathon on May 2nd and my goal is to PR in all distances in 2015! I think that is a great goal! So, I have 12 weeks to get in shape. Jeff and I just started a challenge today. My focus is on my eating and strength training. I am not focusing on a number for my weight, but I need to feel light and strong by January. :-)

I will try to update how it is going. I am also considering doing low heart rate training. Either way, I will be building my base!

No comments: