Thursday, April 2, 2015

One Month from today!

I am feeling a bit anxious, so I thought it might be good to review how my training is going. The marathon is exactly one month from today. That is good and bad. :-) I am realizing how important these couple of weeks are. Adaptations seem to take a little while so the last 2 weeks are less about making gains and more about resting up for the race. That makes these 2 1/2 weeks especially important. Here is what has been happening!

March 7th was Champoeg. This race gives me the confidence I need to know that I can run a 3:40 marathon if I keep training hard.  When I put my race times in a predictor for the marathon, they usually come close to a 3:40, but this race is the first time it has put me at a faster marathon. 3:36:16. Woo hoo!!! I know I have it in me. I just have to race smart and stay injury free. (Also the weather has to cooperate and not be too warm. Keep your fingers crossed for me!)

I jumped right back into training. I am mostly following the Hanson's plan, but I added in a weekly fast run with my mentor, Jen and I believe that has been the key to my increase in speed. They are tough workouts, but they are worth it! I am grateful Jen is willing to push me to see me succeed. The other difference is I am running longer long runs than Hanson's. They top out at 16 milers, but I feel like my body needs and enjoys longer than that. So, I have run a 17 miler, the 30k (18.6) and then I had a 61 mile week which included a 21 miler and a 54 mile week. Last week we were at the beach and I was a little sick so I took a day off. It put me a little behind but I ended up with a good week except the mileage was low at 30 miles. I did my 20 miler on Monday and it was 20.7 miles. So, I still feel a day behind. :-)

Yesterday's speedwork was on the treadmill and it was even faster than usual. We started with a mile warmup and then did 7:53, 7:47, 7:35, 7:35. 7:08, 7:00 (.65 miles), cooldown of .35 miles. I did the whole workout in 56 minutes for exactly and 8 minute pace. I know that this will help.

I am trying to do a lot of mental work. I know that it is not going to be easy. I really, really, really want to qualify for Boston. I know it is possible but I also know it will take everything I have!!! 30 days. Crazy!!!

It is my time!! I know it!! And I know that Cherl can do it as well. Would be awesome to do it together!

1 comment:

cherl said...

Yes!! This may be the race for both of us!!